Stubborn Amuka peg back Wakiso Giants in Big League season opener

FOOTBALL | Coach Ibrahim ‘Uchumi’ Kirya thought his tactical substitution had cracked the code to victory in Lira but a stubborn Amuka Bright Stars side didn’t want to hear of it.

The Lira-based Big League side fought back to equalise late on and hold their nerves against a star-studded and much heralded Wakiso Giants for a 2-2 draw in the northern district on the first day of the Fufa second tier league.

The long waited Big League finally kicked off with a crack as numerous clubs in the two groups took on each other.

Sendo Cleaners

Wakiso Giants opened up the Elgon group away to Amuka Bright Stars and if they were hoping to turn the district purple, they were in for a rude shock when Amuka (Rhinoceros) opened the scoring before some players had even broken a sweat.

The hosts scored in the fourth minute through a James Baker header, sounding the wake-up call for the visiting Purple Sharks.

But credit to them as they responded almost immediately, with Abdul Karim Kasule’s header levelling the affairs to leave the play open.

The two sides then spent the next half hour trading attacks that yielded nothing beyond keeping the goalkeepers busy, with the most notable incident coming in the 53rd minute after Hassan Wasswa brought down Bronson Nsubuga to become the first Wakiso Giants player to have their name in the referee’s book.

With the hosts proving that they were not going to be intimidated by Wakiso Giants’ much publicised fortunes, coach Kirya decided to throw in the dice with double change in the 60th minute as Ivan Kiwewa came on for James Kasibante while Abdul Karim Kasule paved way for Ali Magomu.

Not satisfied with the changes and yet scenting some scalp to exploit, Kirya made his final change almost before the first two had settled down, ringing in Clinton Kamugisha for Feni Ali in the 65th minute.

The coach’s statement of intent in the substitutions was rewarded six minute later as Kamugisha put the Purple Sharks ahead.

However, Bronson Nsubuga’s 78th-minute free-kick levelled the matter again as the host held their own to share the spoils.

Speaking after the match, Kirya the result was satisfactory given the league has just opened and exposure is still limited but rued lack of concentration that allowed the host to level.

“I am delighted picking a point playing under circumstances my boys have not been exposed to. We could have picked all the three points but we faltered in defence and goalkeeping and conceded a goal we could have avoided,” he said.

“We hope for a positive campaign having managed to pick a point from the game we thought would be too hard for us.”

Match day one big league results
Bukedea TC 0-1 JMC
UPDF 0-0 Entebbe
Amuka 2-2 @WakisoGiantsFC
Doves All Stars 0-0 Kataka
Ntinda United 0-3 Kireka United
Kiboga 1-0 Water
Kitara 0-0 ProlineFC
Kansai Plascon 1-0 Kira United
Kabale Sharp 1-1 Dove FC

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

eleven − five =