Mityana woman strangled in bed, another mentally ill drowns

CRIME BRIEFS | Twenty-one-year-old Phiona Namutebi from Mityana was on Saturday morning found dead in her bedroom.

According to Sam Kigudde, the LC1 chairman for Kigwa Kitongo in Butayonja subcounty, who reported the case to Police, there were suspicions that Christopher Kato Kyambade had strangled Namutebi with bed sheets.

“Neighbours say they heard the deceased crying saying ‘you are killing me’ at around 4am, so we have taken into custody the husband to help with investigation,” said Norbert Ochom, the Wamala Region Police spokesperson.

Sendo Cleaners

Police are treating Kyambade as the prime suspect with investigations centred around domestic violence.

Teacher found dead

In a related incident, Police at Kakindu Police Station are investigating the killing of Irene Nakigonzi, a 28-year-old teacher at St Anex Primary School in Mityana District, whose body was found dead with a deep cut on the neck.

According to a statement recorded by Ronald Mawenjje, husband of the deceased and LC1 chairman of Nove village in Kakindu subcounty, Nakigonzi left home to check on her goats from a grazing ground at 4pm but had not returned home by 6pm when her husband was alarmed and went after her.

“Mawenjje reported discovering Nakigonzi’s dead with a deep cut on her neck,” Ochom said.

He said Police had visited the scene but no arrest had been made as the motive of the killing was still not clear.

Mentally sick girl drowns

Meanwhile, Police in Mityana are investigating the circumstances under which Ruth Nabukenya, 29, from Kakinga village in Sekanyoyi subcounty, died in River Mayanja.

The body of Nabukenya, who reportedly was mentally unstable, was found in the river two hours after she had left home to fetch water, her father Livingstone Sseguya said.

“The victim is alleged to have left home with a 10-litre jerrycan to fetch water at about 10am on Friday, leaving a younger sister Nakanwagi at home,” Ochom said.

“When parents returned from the garden at around midday and were told Nabukenya had been gone hours to fetch water, they were alarmed and went to look for her,” he added.

Joined by neighbours from the village, a search was mounted around the river banks but there was no sign of Nabukenya.

Becoming wary, the parents reported the disappearance of their daughter to Police for further assistance.

Ochom said Police have opened investigations to establish the circumstances under which she died.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

9 + twenty =